Overview of the Department:
The Department of Biotechnology was established in 2006 in the Faculty of Biological Sciences at Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad. It is a teaching and research Department of the University and provides facilities in several contemporary disciplines of Biotechnology at BS (Hons), M.Phil. and Ph.D. levels. The Department provides an opportunity to the students from all over the country to compete and excel in the growing field of Biotechnology. The study programs are designed to understand important scientific issues, current technologies, and future challenges considering local, regional, and global needs by using outcomes-based teaching and learning frameworks. An interdisciplinary approach is adopted, and emphasis is placed on the integration of theory with practical classes via hands-on experience. The research activities of the Department are presently focused on areas such as plant biotechnology, medical biotechnology, bioprocess technology and microbial biotechnology. Some individual research projects are receiving funding from Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan, Pakistan Sciences Foundation, Pakistan Academy of Sciences, COMSTECH and tWAS. Because of the relevance of some of the research programs, interaction and collaboration with other institutions has been achieved within the country and abroad.
The Department has been developed with an aim to take leadership role in the applications and promotion of modern biotechnology in the country through high level education and research. This Department has a vision, which we believe to be both laudable and achievable:
- To be a viable target for students from all provinces of Pakistan who are considering an undergraduate degree or postgraduate research degree in Biotechnology.
- To graduate students who can compete, with advantage, within the relevant academic and commercial markets in Pakistan.
- To undertake and produce research of an international quality which can be considered with the best in Pakistan.
- To develop new technologies in Biotechnology.
- The graduates from this Department generally get absorbed as scientists in various research and industrial organizations.
- Many of them have been absorbed as teachers in universities and colleges.